Tuesday 14 June 2011

African Union Day



During my last week in Accra (3rd week of my trip) I celebrated the holiday African Union Day. It falls on May 25th and to celebrate I went to watch a charity futbol match at the Accra stadium! It was so exciting! Stars from all over the world played to help raise money for peace initiatives all across Africa. It was Africa 11 (the best eleven players in Africa) versus World 11 (the best eleven players in the world...) It wasn't really the best players in the world but there were some renowned European stars I believe, however I don't follow soccer so I really don't know. I did however recognize most of the famous African players from Ghana's national team that played (so well) in the FIFA world cup. They are SO goodlooking in real life :). The game was great, sadly Africa 11 lost but it was all in the name of charity which was nice. I went to the game with one of the doctors that I worked with, and since he is a doctor he was able to actually go into the lockerroom of the players, meet and take picutres with all of them! AND later that evening before going out for sushi (of all things) my friend was able to get myself and a couple of girls staying at the hostel, into the hotel where the stars were staying! I got to meet Michael Essien who was the captain of the Africa 11 team and whom the charity game was actually named after! He plays for Chelsea and is one of the best soccer players in the world. I also got to meet Saloman Kalou (another Chelsea player) and this Spanish star who's name I have no idea. It was SO cool! They were such nice guys and obviously VERY attractive, we had a lot of fun meeting with them.  It was a great way to celebrate and to spend my last week in Accra before travelling around Northern Ghana.

No comments:

Post a Comment